Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Week 1, Day 1: It Begins

The clock is ticking.  18-weeks of marathon training began today.  This weekend I decided to spoil myself and take a 5-mileish trail run.  This was a new experience... and an excuse to purchase a pair of trail running shoes.  After vacillating between multiple pairs I finally decided on the Adidas Adistar Ravens.  They are fairly light (for a trail shoe), but still offer a fair amount of cushion from those pesky rocks and rogue roots.  The run took about 54 minutes and it was a fun change from the monotony of the neighborhood roads.

Today, back to the monotony of the roads.  I took yet another pair of new shoes out for a test drive today.  While out and about shoe shopping I decided to treat myself to a pair of Saucony Mirages.  They are a fairly minimalist shoe with a smidge more cushion at the heel.  Also, extremely comfortable.  My knee did get a bit twingy at about mile 1.5, but that could have been a side effect of the trail run.  Jury is still out on that.

Conditions today were mid-50s with a fairly decent wind blowing from the East.  The good news, about a mile in I forgot I was cold and embraced the concrete beneath my feet (Note: the concrete was in fact beneath my shoes. I am not badass enough to join the barefoot movement).

Results
Distance: 3.01 miles
Time: 28:06
Pace: 9:21

Final Thought:

What do you get when cross an elephant with a rhinoceros?  Elephant rhino sine theta
- Some math geek

No comments:

Post a Comment