Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Week 0, Day 1: Around the Corner

A beautiful sunrise crests over the trees as a runner strides East towards it's welcoming hands of light... is what a runner would say if they were up early enough to see the sunrise.  Me, well I was up by 7AM and out the door by about 7:10.

It is extremely challenging to hold back on your speed when going for an easy 3 miler.  I felt great, legs were loose and my heart rate was low.  I assumed I was holding a 10 min/mile pace until I looked down at my watch... 9:09.  Okay, no problem.  Ease up on the gas and slow it down.  Looked down... 8:57.  WTF.  Seriously, this time slooooooow doooooown.  Much better... 9:45.  Hold that thought.

There might actually be something to the philosophy of purposely maintaining a below race pace during training.  I finished my 3 miles with plenty of fuel left in the tank and a sense that I could have gone much further.  The goal for tomorrow (and Thursday)... rinse repeat, easy 3's until the 6-miler this weekend.

Next week is just around the corner and then the official 18-week training clock begins.  Fox Cities here I come... in 19-weeks.  See you there. kthxbai.

Results:
Distance: 3.01 miles
Time: 29:18
Pace: 9:43

Final Thoughts: You are only going to do as well as the effort you put into your training.  Short mileage may not be quite as important as going the distance, but the discipline required is the same.  Treat every run with the respect it deserves and you will be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment