Monday, June 6, 2011

Bring on the Heat

Week 2, Day 4 of Marathon Training (7 Miles)

Well, well, well it appears that summer is finally here.  I had a gentle reminder today why you DO NOT run at noon on 80+ degree days.  The heat sucks the life out of you!  The first few miles were okay-ish, but 4-7 my core temperature shot through the roof, muscle fatigue was in full effect and I was blinded by the salt-lick waterfall of sweat cascading into my eyes.  Lessons re-learned.  Run in the morning or run at night.  Do not run during the hottest part of the day.  My normal solution to this problem is to use a bubbler/water fountain as a personal bird bath to cool off.  That worked for about 15 seconds and then, BAM-O, back to sweat city.  The important part is, I did it.  Hopefully that counts for something.

Results
Distance: 7.00 miles
Time: 1:08:44
Pace: 9:48

Final Thought:
May the summer sun melt away my winter weight.  May the summer sun bring color to my cheeks.  May the summer sun lay the hell off when I am running long on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment